International Standard on Auditing for Audits of Financial Statements of Less Complex Entities, known as ISA for LCE, is the pioneering standard is a significant milestone, addressing the unique needs of audits of smaller and less complex businesses.
The ISA for LCE is a standalone global auditing standard designed specifically for smaller and less complex businesses. Built on the foundation of the International Standards on Auditing (ISAs), audits performed using this standard provide the same level of assurance for eligible audits: reasonable assurance.
ISA for LCE
The ISA for LCE is a standalone global auditing standard designed specifically for smaller and less complex businesses.
- It is standalone standard that is proportionate & tailored to the specific needs of an audit of less complex entities, which makes it easier to navigate for those practitioners who support these types of engagements.
- It provides the same level of assurance as an audit performed under the ISAs: reasonable assurance.
- It will help maintain confidence in financial reporting and promote the consistent application of auditing standards to LCEs, which reduces the risk of jurisdictional divergence by driving consistency and comparability globally.
- It recognizes the importance of smaller businesses and their specific audit needs.
The Authority: When Can the ISA for LCE Be Used?
The ISA for LCE can be used in jurisdictions that have adopted the standard.
It is the nature of the business that determines if this standard can be used. Are the business activities, organizational and ownership structures, finance function, technology, accounting & reporting less complex?
It also cannot be used by entities that are listed or have public interest characteristics.
See the standard for further details on when the ISA for LCE can be used.
- Available Resources
Coming in 2024
To support adoption and implementation of this new standard, in 2024, the IAASB will issue:
- Supplementary guidance on the authority of the standard and reporting
- Adoption fact sheet
- First time implementation guide
- Webinars on the scope and authority, general guidance, and implementation
All new materials will be included on this web page.