New Members Began their Terms of Service January 1, 2024
The International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB) is pleased to welcome five new members following their appointments by the Public Interest Oversight Board (PIOB) in November 2023.
- Sami Alshorafa is the Deputy for Supervision, Capital Market Authority Saudi Arabia, where he is based. He leads the supervision of listed entities' financial statements, auditors, and governance as well as compliance of collective investment schemes. He has also worked as an audit partner at two of the big four audit firms.
Mr. Alshorafa: “Being part of the IAASB constitutes an excellent opportunity for accountants and specialists from different backgrounds and different geographical jurisdictions to come together with one main objective in mind, which is serving the public interest of the capital markets by cooperating in the development of high-quality auditing standards.”
- Hernán Casinelli is the Chair of the Accounting and Assurance Standards Board of Argentina, where he is based. He has held positions as a member of the International Accounting Standards Board’s SME Implementation Group and the IAASB's ISA for LCEs’ Reference Group.
Mr. Casinelli: “I look forward to working in the public interest to develop standards that enhance confidence in corporate reporting. I am certainly joining the IAASB at an exciting and challenging time.”
- Vishal Doshi is a Council member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. He is also the Vice Chair of ICAI’s Auditing and Assurance Standards Board and a partner in K C Mehta & Co LLP, in India, where he is based.
Mr. Doshi: “The IAASB plays a very important role in global standards setting and I am looking forward to contributing towards the IAASB' s objectives to meet stakeholders’ expectations and serve public interest.”
- Robert Koethner is the retired Vice President, Chief Accounting Officer, Mercedes-Benz Group AG, a role he held for more than 20 years. During his career, he worked closely with audit firms as well as governance bodies, including supervisory boards and audit committees, on an international scale. He is based in Germany.
Mr. Koethner: “As a former Chief Accounting Officer for a publicly listed and globally operating company I am looking forward to share my experience from a preparers side with my fellow board members to deliver international high-quality auditing standards.”
- Chrystelle Richard is Associate Professor in Accounting, ESSEC Business School, and is based in France. Dr. Richard teaches financial accounting and sustainable reporting in bachelor, master, and executive programs. Her primary research interests focus on firms' oversight and new forms of economic governance, including public-private partnerships and financial industry regulation.
Dr. Richard: “I feel very privileged to serve the IAASB at such an exciting time. The challenges of sustainability as well as technological developments present the IAASB with an ambitious and demanding agenda in 2024 and beyond. I am deeply honored to provide my academic expertise to the IAASB, and I am fully committed to serve it with the highest sense of the public interest.”
The IAASB is also pleased to share that two members were re-appointed by the PIOB for terms that also began on January 1, 2024:
- Edo Kienhuis is PwC’s Global Standards Leader and a partner in the Audit and Assurance practice in Amsterdam, where he is a member of the National Office Methodology team and serves as an engagement quality review partner on several listed entities; and
- Wendy Stevens is the National Practice Leader for Quality & Risk Management (QRM) at Mazars in the US, the Mazars Group International Quality Management leader, and a member of the Mazars Group QRM Board.
The PIOB’s Invitation for Application for IAASB members for terms of service beginning in January 2025 is open until February 9, 2024. The IAASB encourages qualified candidates to apply.
About the IAASB
The International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board develops auditing, assurance, related services, and quality management standards and guidance in the public interest that support consistent performance of quality engagements. Along with the International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants, the IAASB is part of the International Foundation for Ethics and Audit. The Public Interest Oversight Board oversees IAASB and IESBA activities and the public interest responsiveness of the standards. For copyright, trademark, and permissions information, please visit Permissions.