The New Auditor's Report
Why Change the Auditor’s Report?
The auditor’s report is the key deliverable communicating the results of the audit process. Investors and other financial statement users have asked for a more informative auditor’s report—in particular for auditors to provide more relevant information to users.
Research, public consultations, and stakeholder outreach, including global roundtables, indicate that enhanced auditor reporting is critical to influencing the perceived value of the financial statement audit.
The new and revised Auditor Reporting standards are effective for audits of financial statements for periods ending on or after December 15, 2016.
- Enhanced communication between auditors and investors, as well as those charged with corporate governance
- Increased user confidence in audit reports and financial statements
- Increased transparency, audit quality, and enhanced information value
- Increased attention by management and financial statement preparers to disclosures referencing the auditor's report
- Renewed auditor focus on matters to be reported that could result in an increase in professional skepticism
- Enhanced financial reporting in the public interest
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Effective implementation is critical to the success of the new and revised Auditor Reporting standards. You--investors, regulators, audit oversight bodies, audit committees and others--have an important role in effecting the change you want to see in auditor reporting.
Join the IAASB in promoting the new and revised Auditor Reporting standards. Engage in dialogue with us, and among yourselves about what's new in auditor reporting today.
Standards and Pronouncements
Audit Committees and Finance Executives
Additional Useful Resources
- The New Auditor’s Report: A Comparison between the ISAs and the PCAOB Reproposal
- The New Auditor's Report: Speech by James Gunn, Managing Director, Professional Standards, to 6th Brazilian Conference on Accounting and Independent Auditing
- Audit Training of Trainers Virtual Workshop: New and Revised Auditor Reporting Standards, the World Bank
- The New Auditor's Report: Questions and Answers
- Determining and Communicating Key Audit Matters