Assurance on Sustainability Reporting
What the Project Aims to Achieve
The IAASB is currently working on a project to develop an overarching standard for assurance on sustainability reporting, that is:
- Responsive to the public interest need for a timely standard that supports the consistent performance of quality sustainability assurance engagements;
- Suitable across all sustainability topics, information disclosed about those topics, and reporting frameworks; and
- Implementable by all assurance practitioners (i.e., professional accountants and other professionals performing assurance engagements).
The new overarching standard for assurance on sustainability reporting would address:
- Both limited assurance and reasonable assurance;
- The conduct of an assurance engagement in its entirety; and
- Areas of sustainability assurance engagements where priority challenges have been identified, and more specificity is required.
The IAASB’s work will build upon existing IAASB Standards and guidance that deal with this topic more broadly, including:
- ISAE 3000 (Revised), Assurance Engagements Other Than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information;
- ISAE 3410, Assurance Engagements on Greenhouse Gas Statements; and
- The package of non-authoritative guidance on sustainability and other extended external reporting assurance engagements (see the EER Project Page)
The IAASB envisages that a suite of standards for assurance on sustainability reporting that provide more specificity than an overarching standard will likely need to be developed over time. The IAASB will explore the further development of the suite of assurance standards on sustainability reporting as part of its future standard-setting activities.
Please also visit the IAASB’s dedicated Focus Area Page for Sustainability Assurance, which brings together all existing IAASB content for assurance on sustainability reporting and other forms of extended external reporting.
The following table sets out the project timeline. Please note that these are current targeted milestones and may change as the work in this area progresses.